Wednesday, August 10, 2016

Fish Jar

Say hello to the Fish Jar!

This is one of the most fun and fascinating projects I've ever created.  My inspiration came from My Aqua Jar.  If you've never seen one of their ads, it looks basically like what I've put together only more professional and thorough. (haha)  If you're like me and you're too impatient to order everything and wait on it, then this is the perfect project for you.  This would be awesome for workspace and dorm rooms too as long as there is a window available to allow sun to hit the plant.

Materials you will need:
- Wide mouth mason jar
- Small plant (mint is planted in the picture)
- Marbles (or gravel)
- Plastic fruit cup (Dole Fruit n Gel cup in the picture)
- Beta fish

Begin by drilling 4 holes into your plastic fruit cup (do this with some TLC so you do not break the plastic).  Now you may put your small plant in the fruit cup.

Place enough marbles or gravel to cover the bottom of your mason jar.
Fill the jar 5/6 of the way full (just enough that the bottom of the plant touches the water).
At this point, you can add a very small plant.  In my jar, I attached a Beta Bed to the side. These can be found at your local Pet Smart.

Get your fish adjusted to the water by transferring it to a small bag (I used a sandwich bag) and placing it in the jar to the best of your ability.  There may be a small amount of overflow so place a towel underneath the jar.  After about 5 mins, remove the fish from the bag and put it in the jar.  I would suggest administering some stress coat liquid to the jar since they've endured a hard day of moving from place-to-place.


Feed the fish sparingly then place the small plant on top of the jar.
I hope you enjoy your jar of fish!

No comments:

Post a Comment